Saturday, February 6, 2010

Remember When...

Today while driving in the van, the song "Remember When" from Alan Jackson came on.  I've always thought it a lovely, beautiful song.  I hadn't really connected with it though, you know how some songs you feel like are written just for you?  Well, this isn't that song for me.  Then, the last lyrics suddenly struck a cord --

"Remember when we said when we turned gray
When the children grow up and move away
We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when"

Barclay and I don't talk about getting old and the kids moving away...but I think about it, a lot.  More in terms of thinking and wishing for the boys to be older, and independent.  People always say "Appreciate when they are young because they grow up so fast".  I can't help but wish for easier days, when they are not so clingy and needy.  When they can feed, dress, potty themselves, when they...don't need me so much????  I guess in essence that is what I am wishing for.  But, then I listen to this song, and, if I'm not careful, I WILL be sad when they grow up and move away, because I am not fully appreciating this time with them.  I find myself thinking, the time isn't really going by that fast.  Then I sit with my Owen, and look at videos of him as a baby.  And I cannot believe that baby is now a vivacious 3.5 year old sitting on my lap saying "Lets watch it again Mommy".  I wonder, does my Mother-In-Law look at her grown 38 year old son and feel like he was just a baby?  Does it really go by that fast? 

I'll be more careful, to appreciate my two little boys exactly as they are now. 

1 comment: